Head of Department : Prof. Rumyana Damyanova, DSc
Room no. 814, tel. + 359 2 979 29 94
Historical Details :
The Department of Bulgarian Literature up to the National Liberation was founded in 1948. It was first directed by Acad. Petar Dinekov (until 1983), who was succeeded by Prof. Dr. Docho Lekov (1983 - 1989). In 1989 this department was split into the Department of Old Bulgarian Literature and the Department of Bulgarian Renaissance Literature, which is directed by Prof. Rumyana Damyanova, DSc (as of 1995).
Scope of activities :
Research of literary and cultural processes in the period of the Bulgarian Renaissance (17th-19th century) and investigation of their specific characteristics: authors, works, periodicals, cultural centres and intellectual communities both in and outside Bulgaria, specification of genre dynamics, problems of poetics and particularities of reception, the relation between literary and non-literary texts, processes of genre-transformation, forms of literary and personal communication, the problem of identity in dramas and memoirs, folklore literature and philanthropy as a social phenomenon.
Selected publications :
- P. Dinekov. Sofia during the 19th Century up to the Liberation of Bulgaria (1937); Early Renaissance Writers (1942); From the History of Bulgarian Literature (1969); The Bulgarian Renaissance. Anthology. (1969); Historical Destiny and Contemporaneity. (1972); In the World of Hristo Botev (1976)
- Tarinska, St. Botev’s Prose Fiction (1966); Dimitar Veliksin (1999) Baeva, Sonya. Petko Slaveykov. Life and Works (1827-1870) (1968)
- Angelov, B. Early Bulgarian Renaissance Literature (1969); Contemporaries of Paisij of Hilendar. Vol. I-II (1963-64); Paisij of Hilendar (1985)
- Tz. Oundzhieva. Lyuben Karavelov. Novelist and Belletrist (1968); Bulgarian Authors in the Russian Press 1854-1864 (1982)
- On Literary Genres during the Bulgarian Renaissance (1979)
- Lekov, D. Problems of Bulgarian Belles-lettres during the Renaissance (1970); Literature. Society. Culture (1982); Writer - Work- Reader (1988); Dobri Chintulov’s Manuscript Textbooks (1987); Bulgarian Renaissance Literature. vols. I-II (1988); Renaissance Forewords (1992)
- Dobri Voinikov. Collection of studies, dedicated to his 150th anniversary / Eds. T. Jzechev, D. Lekov (1990)
- Lyuben Karavelov. Collection of studies, dedicated to his 150th anniversary (1990)
- Vasil Drumev. Collection of studies / Ed. D. Lekov (1992)
- Vasil Aprilov and the Culture of Bulgarian Renaissance. Collection of Studies dedicated to his 200th anniversary / Edited by D. Lekov, R. Damyanova, Tz. Petrov (1992)
- Genre and Recipient during the Bulgarian Renaissance. Collection of studies / Edited by I. Radev, D. Lekov, Y. Nikolova, M. Kostova (1992)
- Literary and Folklore Studies. Collection of studies in honour of Academician P. Dinekov (1993)
- Neophyte Bosveli and Bulgarian Literature. Collection of studies / Edited by St. Tarinska (1993)
- Press and Literature. Collection of studies / Edited by D. Lekov, L. Mihova, R. Tahov (1994)
- Todor Peev. Collection of studies / Edited by D. Lekov, R. Damyanova, R. Tahov (1994)
- Archmonk Spiridon and the Early Renaissance Historiography. Collection of studies / Eds. D. Lekov, R. Damyanova, Tz. Petrov (1996)
- The Renaissance Text. Readings of Bulgarian Renaissance Literature and Culture (In honour of Prof. Lekov’s 70th anniversary) / Edited by R. Damyanova, L. Mihova, Hr. Manolakev (1999)
- Damyanova, Rumyana. Beyond the Texts: Cultural Mechanisms of the Bulgarian Revival (2004); Emotions in the Culture of the Bulgarian Revival (2008).
- Money, Words, and Memory / Compliers: N. Aretov, R. Zaimova (2004).
- Imaginary Texts of Bulgarian National Revival. In Honour of Stefana Tarinska / Compliers: N. Aretov, D. Gospodinov (2005).
- Ivan D. Shishmanov - the forum. Shishmanov's reading. Book 1. (2005).
- Mihaylov, Kamen, Marina Smolyaninova. Kliment Branitzki and Turnovski [Vasil Drumev]. Documents and drafts / Editing the original texts, authoring of the notices, commentary and indexes K. Mihaylov (2005).
- Aretov, Nikolay. Bulgarian Literature 18th - 19th senturies. One History (2006) (with Nikolay Chernokozhev); National Mythology and National Literature (2006); Bulgarian Murder: Outline of a History of Bulgarian Literature of Crime and Detection (2007).
- Ivan D. Shishmanov - the scientist and the citizen. Shishmanov's reading. Book 2. (2006).
- Ivan D. Shishmanov - science and politics. Shishmanov's reading. Book 3. (2007).
- Despite Divisions. Intercultural Dialogs in the Balkans / Ed. N. Aretov (2008).
Literary, social and cultural problems of the Bulgarian Renaissance. Director of studies: Prof. Rumyana Damyanova, DSc. Bulgaria and Russia - concepts and reality (from the 18th to the 20th century)- a joint research project with the Institute for Slavonic Studies at the Russian Academy of Sciences. Director of studies: Prof. Rumyana Damyanova, DSc.
Christian culture and national identity during the Bulgarian Renaissance - a joint re-search project with the Slovansky Ustav Institute at the Czech Academy of Sciences. Director of studies: Prof. Rumyana Damyanova, DSc and Marcel Cerny, PhD. Ivan D. Shishmanov and modernization of the Humanities in Bulgaria. Director of studies: Prof. Rumyana Damyanova, DSc, Nedka Kapralova.
Department members :
- Prof. Nikolay Aretov, DSc
- Prof. Rumyana Damyanova, DSc
- Assoc. Prof. Kamen Mihailov, PhD
- Assoc. Prof. Lidiya Mihova, PhD
- Research associate Dancho Gospodinov, PhD
- Research associate Nikoleta Patova, PhD
- Nedka Kapralova
- Vasil Balevski